Galleries 历史走廊

Pioneers 先驱 Clans 会馆

Contact us 联络我们

Feedback反馈 Facebook

Temple Events 庙宇活动

Calendar日历

Find temples 寻找庙宇

List列举 Search搜索

Location 地点

Map地图

   Telok Blangah Other temples in this area

> Ban Siew San Kuan Im Tong 万寿山观音堂 Ban Siew San Kuan Im Tong 万寿山观音堂 Ban Siew San Kuan Im Tong 万寿山观音堂 Ban Siew San Kuan Im Tong 万寿山观音堂

Ban Siew San Kuan Im Tong
万寿山观音堂

  Introduction
According to the wooden plaques in the temple, Ban Siew San Kuan Im Tong (Wangshoushan Guanyin Tang) was founded in 1880. It started as two modest attap-thatched houses, which were refurbished in 1892. In 1905 the lower house was rebuilt into a block with brick walls and tiled roofs. The founder of the temple was Wong Guan Teck, who received donations from many devotees, and the most significant donation was a piece of land from Madam Tan Geok Hup, wife of Yeo Hong Tye. The Yeo family (part of Hokkien Yeo See Association) used to own the Telok Blangah area, including the hill that this temple sits on. They also donated the land for its neighbour Koon Seng Tng.
The temple is located on a hill known to the Chinese as Ban Siew San, literally translated as Longevity Hill. Blessed by the hill's auspicious name, the temple managed to stay at the same location for more than a hundred years. In Nov 2013, URA announced that Ban Siew San Kuan Im Tong will be conserved.
The Monkey King shrine at the rear hall of Ban Siew San Kuan Im Tong belongs to Shun Tian Gong. According to Leon Comber's Chinese Temples in Singapore, the temple was founded in 1905 at Bukit Purmei. When the temple's site was acquired by government, Shun Tian Kung moved to Bukit Merah Central, where the Bukit Merah swimming complex is currently located. In the 1980s the Bukit Merah's site was slated for redevelopment, and the Monkey King instructed the temple owners (Tan brothers) to move to Ban Siew San Kuan Im Tong, at the spot between Guanyin and Buddha. This might have something to do with the legend that the Monkey King attained Buddhahood through the help of Buddha and Guanyin.
Tan Geok Hup was the daughter of philanthropist Tan Kim Seng, who was well-known for improving the town's waterworks and promoting education. Besides donating the land for this temple, Geok Hup also donated Hiap Guan San as cemetery for Hokkien Yeo clansmen.

Ban Siew San Kuan Im Tong
Photo taken in1988 (source: NAS)


根据《万寿山观音堂》内的木碑,杨鸿(逢)泰夫人陈氏玉合女士在光绪六年(公元1880年)献上万寿山的地作为建庙用途,初开创亚塔屋上下两座,至壬辰年(公元1892年)修整,乙巳年(公元1905年)下座建成砖墙瓦盖。王元德与吴明復是初期的理事人。
托了万寿山的福,观音堂100多年来都保留在原地,而且市区重建局在2013年11月公布该庙将被纳入受保留建筑物文化遗产中。
后殿的齐天大圣神龛属于《顺天宫》。《顺天宫》于1905年在武吉宝美创立,后来因受城市重建计划的影响而迁至红山中心,1980 年代再次被逼迁。庙主陈氏兄弟按照大圣的指示将神龛安奉在《万寿山观音堂》,位置在观音与如来佛之间。这可能是因为如来佛和观音曾协助齐天大圣修成正果。
陈玉合的父亲就是慈善家陈金声。他对新加坡首个供水系统及中文教育作出很大的贡献。除了献地建庙,陈玉合也献出协源山为福建杨氏族人之冢山。杨氏家族(杨氏公会)也献地给隔邻的堃成堂

Religious buildings conserved in 2013 受保留建筑物
  Deities 神明
Main Deity 主神/佛
Guanyin (Goddess of Mercy/Compassion) 观音Other temples with this as main deity


Other Deities 众神/佛
Sakyamuni Buddha (Sage of the Sakya) 如来佛祖
Maitreya 弥勒佛
Tiger God 虎爷
Tua Pek Kong 大伯公
Four-faced Brahma 四面佛
Taiyang Xing Jun(Sun God) 太阳星君/太阳公/太阳神
Moon Godddess 太阴娘娘/太阴星君
Monkey King 齐天大圣
Wen Wu Sheng Di 文武圣帝
Madam Zhu Sheng 注生娘娘
Dragon Lady 龙母娘娘
Mazu 妈祖
Activities 活动
庚子(鼠)年二月十九日 : 观音圣诞
Lunar: 19th of 2nd mth - Birthday of Guanyin

庚子(鼠)年五月十九日 : 观音得道日
Lunar: 19th of 6th mth - Guanyin Enlightenment Day

庚子(鼠)年八月十九日 : 观音出家日
Lunar: 19th of 9th mth - Guanyin Renunciation Day

  Contact Information 联络资讯
Address: 2 Telok Blangah Drive, Singapore
Tel: 6271 2914

Operating Hours:
Normal Days - 7:30am to 5pm
1st & 15th of Lunar

Click on "View Larger Map" for driving direction and public transport advice.
想知道行驶方向或查询公共交通路线请点击以下"View Larger Map"。
View Larger Map