Kusu Island Tua Pek Kong Temple (gui yu da bo gong) started as a shrine, known as Fu Shan Gong. Based on a Lian He Zao Bao's report (19 Oct 2000), the shrine was built around the year 1860. The oldest stele in the temple was erected in 1909 for the renovation of the shrine, and among the donors was businessman Ong Sam Leong (of Fujian Kinmen/Jingmen ancestry), who was buried in the largest tomb at Bukit Brown Cemetery. Another stele was erected in 1927 for the rebuild of temple into the one we see today, and one of two largest donors was another Bukit Brown resident Ong Chwee Tow of Fujian Zhao'an Dongshan ancestry (Dongshan separated from Zhao'an in 1916 to become an independant county), who also contributed to the building of the Malay Keramats on Kusu Island, the renovations of Goh Chor Tua Pek Kong Temple and founded Hougang Tou Mu Kung. Another pioneer listed was philanthropist Tan Boon Liat, who funded the rebuild of Leong San See. The temple is located on an islet known to the Chinese as Kusu Island (tortoise island in Hokkien) due to the way it looks, while the Malay call it Pulau Tembakul. The islet was named as early as 1616 by Dom Jose de Silva (Spanish Governor of the Philippines) as the Governor's Island, and in 1806 it was named as Goa Island by the East India Company. Every year in the 9th Lunar month devotees pay their annual pilgrimage to the temple to celebrate Tua Pek Kong birthday. Another temple at Havelock Road is also known by the same name (officially named Hock Teck Tong (Fu De Tang)) because it has received the 'Joss Ash' from Kusu Island Tua Pek Kong.